Sunday, January 4, 2009

Funny story... At least I think it is funny.

I am not quite sure if on my list of fun facts on my birthday I listed...... "Cannot sleep with anything hanging over my head". This pertains to pictures, shelves even slanted ceilings. I swear it is Feng Shui 101 or just me being totally kooky. I like to think it is the first one rather than the second..... Although Simon does say I am funny peculiar, not funny ha-ha.

But back to topic overhead (totally funny ha-ha, at least I think I am) ....... The shelf above my mom's guest bed. Seen here in this picture..

I usually sleep with my head at the other end of the bed or diagonal, as I do not sleep well with things hanging over my head.(See above - still funny) For whatever reason (I am sure pure exhaustion from NO sleep over the Holiday) We went to bed sleeping under the shelf at my mom's house the last night we were there. At about 3:30am I rolled over in bed and moved a pillow that apparently was under Simon's head. He then pushed on the wall to reach for another pillow. With that a HUGE crash occurs, and I can hear sliding! I just knew it had to be the annoying shelf above our heads. To the point that I just start yelling on the top of my lungs "THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WHY YOU DON'T HANG SHELVES OVER PEOPLE HEADS WHILE THEY TRY TO SLEEP" As I turn on the light I see the shelf hanging by one nail and the pieces of pottery sliding down and smashing and breaking on Simon's forehead. All the while he is half asleep and somewhat delirious as to 1. why is someone yelling, 2. why are things crashing, and 3. why hasn't anyone asked him if he is OK.


My mom comes running only to answer my yelling (of course not to ask if Simon is OK - just kidding love you mom) that in fact "You could have just taken the shelf down". An option that never has been mentioned in all the time I have been sleeping diagonal, backwards, upside down what have you.


Other than some goose eggs on his forehead he is ok. The fact that he nor my mother will NEVER live it down that I am not kooky and I do in fact have valid concerns will be just another thing he will have to attend therapy for.

5 comments:

debi g said...

we used to have a painting of my mom as a young girl hanging over my sister's bed... it fell on her one night and that was the end of stuff above the bed for us. glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.

trish said...

ha, i am the same way! i can't sleep if there is a painting or shelf over the bed at all..sometimes even the ceiling fan makes me nervous... i hope simon is ok!

Anonymous said...

OMG! That was the funniest thing I have ever read! Glad everyone is ok now.

devon lorraine ... said...

i am pretty sure that in another life you were a californian.

in california it is a crime not only to place shelves near the head of the bed, but also to hang pictures, or to place bookshelves near the bed --- if there is an EARTHQUAKE, the shelves or frames will spear open your head, and if the bookshelves don't pin you when they fall over, they will obscure your path to the nearest doorjam.

when i arrived at camp and saw my bed was by a non-secured bookshelf, i freaked out. only calmed by the idea that there are not supposed to be earthquakes in PA. but you never know. there aren't supposed to be earthquakes in illinois, and we had one last year.

Leslie said...

ok, that sucked! i was totally about to type out EVERYTHING that devon did! i'll add to the camp surprise that we couldn't figure out why there was such little storage space and yet others didn't appear to have a problem with it. come to realize, all of the other non-californians were storing their books and toiletries and whatnots on those shelves above and around the bed. WHAT??? you CAN NOT do that. to which ya'll responded, "hey, dumba-- californians. no earthquakes here. just terrifying lightening storms and mosquitos the size of baseballs."

we have earthquakes here all of the time. like, i can remember 5 last year at the top of my head. totally normal and an accepted part of my life (in japan, we had them just about everyday) and it's so ingrained to not put anything above the bed. but a shelf with strategically placed heavy-looking pottery?? why didn't she just put up a box dynamite or an anvil with ACME written on it?