Saturday, August 8, 2009

1 Specialist Down 1 to go.....



It is official, Ruthie has to get her tonsils out. I always knew in the back of my head that we would have to do this.......It just doesn't make it any easier. I teared up while in the doctor's office at the prognosis. But totally held it together for the sake of Ruthie.




Ruthie has been plagued with sleep issues for the past few years. Night terrors, which we associated with Simon being gone alot. Sleep walking, which is so fun. We always could predict when they were going to happen, usually when she was exhausted. (I am pretty rigid and keep a tight schedule but whenever we push it we ran the risk of sleep issues)




Our doctor mentioned at her check up that she has "abnormally large" tonsils. Perhaps she has sleep apnea which that in turn causes the exhaustion (i.e. not getting quality sleep) which in turn causes the sleep issues. We didn't really put alot of thought into until I spent a week while Simon was away with her in my bed. (My choice, do you have any idea how freaky it is to be all by yourself and have a sleep walker wandering around the house?) Well, that child doesn't sleep AT ALL. One week and I was a believer.




We waited for a while to get into the specialist, and had to all attend. Daddy doesn't miss appointments. Especially one like this! One look at they too were convinced. Apparently when she says (ahhh, that is flexing) When she flexes her tonsils they still take up 75% of the back of her throat. The doctor thinks that when she is not flexing there is a good chance they are touching. This in turn causes the sleep issues, among many other issues.




Anyhoo, I could go on for hours with the research and doctor info. And I am sure that people probably have differing opinions. But I know that this is the best decision for my family. That is all that matters. Still something I am going to worry about and think about until the procedure is behind us. We will do this in October since we have decided to wait and get her acclimated to school before we have to pull her out.




Lulu's specialist appointment for her kidneys' and bladder is coming in the next few weeks and I am hoping that she is able to have some kind of plan of action for her.




Never a dull moment.
Yes, this is how I found Lulu the other morning when I went to tell her that breakfast was ready, sneaking the chips and hanging out in my bed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor Little Miss Ruthie. I'm sure she'll do great with it and once she has them out, she'll sleep so much better. Also, I love the picture of Lulu and the chips.

Andrea

lauren and brad said...

Poor Ruthie...

If it makes you feel better, I had my tonsils out when I was little and it is one of my most vivid memories. In a good way! I remember lots of love, affection, doting, getting flowers, getting spoiled, being FORCED to eat ice cream...

She'll do great and you will too. You are a good mama.

debi g said...

poor babies! love the pictures though. my tonsils are large too and probably should have had them out years ago. best that ruthie gets them out now and is able to sleep properly!

Amanda said...

wow I thought tonsils only had to come out for chronic sore throats....but sleep apnea? Crazy, how's that for an even better reason. I used to want mine out too, just for the throat reasons alone, but I'm sure the extra doting, unlimited popsicles and time off school wouldn't have been bad other. What an amazing set of parents to be so super concerned though, you have a couple lucky little girls.

Leslie said...

oh wow. lots of time with the docs! i used to be so jealous of friends who got their tonsils out. just like amanda, i always wanted mine removed. of course, lo has to rub in her "perfect childhood". :)

devon lorraine ... said...

poor LMR (Little Miss Ruthie)!

i was in the same camp as les; i wanted them out because i heard of this charmed "ice cream" diet they put my friends on (a dream diet which apparently lo lived out). it happens that my tonsils are HUGE (ok, at least they were relative to my 8-ish-year old body). and i was getting lots of sore throats. i think it came down to something like if i got one more infection in that particular year, they were going to recommend removal. but it never happened, and i have my honkin' ol' tonsils to this day. so, watch out, because after you make it through this, maybe lulu is going to want hers out, too!

tricia said...

oh Ruthie! the good news is i bet she is going to sleep like an angel when it is all done. i also wanted my tonsils out when i was younger, it was a very cool thing. sort of like how i wanted mono in high school when it was going around because my friends got a week off from school. looking back, WHAT was i thinking?!

best of luck Ruthie, you will do great!