Saturday was a wonderful day. In the morning Simon and I went to campus and spent the morning making cookies with a group of 8 boys, and 2 staff. The boys ranged in ages of 12-15. It all started with me making cookies for this group of boys for Halloween and their group leader mentioned that they loved them.. (of course) and I suggested perhaps they would enjoy making Christmas cookies. We reserved the kitchen in the Admin building so we had plenty of room. The boys were so well behaved, and eager to learn. There were a few at the begining that weren't sure, or did not want to get their hands dirty, but once they saw how much fun it was they were making their own designs instead of using the cut-out shapes I brought. These boys made me so happy when they each came up at differnt parts of the day and said how "excited they were to do this with us" and that "they didn't think it would be this fun". Their group leaders even mentioned that this was the best team work they have seen in a long time.
When we lived in Columbus we used to go to Campus and have dinner with the boys quite regularly and since moving to Michigan I have not been extremely involved other than Founder's Day, and Holiday Lunches. Simon also used to have softball games and stuff on Saturday mornings, but I was always prego or had the girls. I know it is easy to make excuses when life gets so busy but it is so important for us to REALLY get involved. It is really all about the boys (and girls, although we have never lived near the campus that has girls). The whole morning Simon and I kept catching each other's eye and really smiling, This is what it is all about, getting to know them, making a difference and being there for them. I hope that we can get more of the administrative staff involved.
This is just the beginning of my involvement with them, and I don't think they are going to know what hit them! I can't wait!
Simon's work is located on the left as (A GREAT ORGANIZATION, UNDER THINGS CLOSE TO OUR HEART), They are doing amazing things, and making the world a better place one kid at a time!
4 comments:
thanks for reminding us that we need to remember what is really important! excuses are too easy to make!
i ditto devon! sounds like a great way to spend part of the weekend.
the organization sounds wonderful and so does your fun baking day! (also, thank you for preparing the men of tomorrow for cooking/baking...)
so good of you to spend time with those boys! seriously about them not wanting to get their hands dirty? crazy!
Post a Comment