Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sweet Realization


I had to make cookies for Ruthie's Christmas party at school and I also needed to make something for Simon to take to a potluck at work. So they both lucked out and got delicious cookies. Simon really lucked out and his were decorated with mini m&m's. (Ruthie's school is "peanut free" and I forgot that on the label it says may contain peanuts.) I hope that Simon's co-workers like the pre-school cookies!

As I was sitting in the kitchen icing the cookies I had a Mom moment...........

The girls had played in the snow with Simon after dinner (we are expecting 5+inches) while I was rolling the dough and baking the cookies. They had a ball, and came inside exhausted, put on jammies, had some hot cocoa and watched a show. They were all snug in their beds, with bedtime a total breeze. So there I am sitting in the kitchen admiring the Christmas tree icing my cookies, when it hit me....

This is exactly the life I always hoped,dreamed and prayed I would have some day.

I get to sit in the kitchen make my cookies for my kids, take them to school, play in the snow, take them to swim lessons, pile all our stuff in the mini-van and drive to Cleveland to see wonderful friends and family. We are making wonderful friends here, I really feel like we are finally settling in to life in Michigan and we are truly blessed.

Yes, there will always be the nagging worries of health, wealth and employment. Then there is the constant worry of "am I doing the right thing" or the motherhood guilt, or other issues that we have to face.

But this is where I always hoped I would be some day and I am going to stop, smell the cookies, catch snow on my tongue and cuddle on the couch and thank god for every day!

4 comments:

debi g said...

you are an AWESOME mom! i will look to you one day when i get to become a mom for advise! and i just want to lick those cookies... green icing yum.

lauren and brad said...

beautiful. just beautiful.

Erin said...

very sweet post. and i'm drooling over those cookies.

Leslie said...

i'd have you as my mom any day. those cookies look amazing, your girls look so happy, and i think you've created such a warm and loving environment for your family. any chance you have a spare bedroom for three more?? :)