Thursday, September 3, 2009

Triathlon

What an aweseome weekend. I seriously could not have even dreamt of a more totally amazing time!

It started off with receiving flowers of well wishes from my sister on Friday afternoon! So sweet! Then my mom, Bridget and Jennifer arrived on Friday night late. Friday night I slept pretty good when I did sleep. I woke up with my alarm at 6am. My neighbor called shortly thereafter to wish me luck!

Simon and I drove down the event (about 45-hour away, I was getting nervous but for the most part excited). I checked in and got number 25! So thrilled as it was a great location in the transition but most importantly it had a 5 in it and 5 has ALWAYS been my athletic number. When I envisioned this race I always hoped for 5 or 55 but 25 was just as great!

Just as everyone was getting ready to go to the swim start I saw the girls at the start of the race with their "Team Bisson" shirts, handmade signs and smiles and I started to tear up.

We all went out into the middle of the lake and (Froze) waited for the gunshot. When the gun went off the best way to describe it was like parana's. I am a pretty good swimmer but nothing could prepare me for that feeling of "oh my god, what have I done?" or better yet.... "I am going to die out here". Luckily that feeling only lasted for about 1-2 mins. I got it together sorted myself out and waited until the kicking, shoving, pushing, stopped and I just went along with my business.

I felt good coming out of the swimming, I fumbled around trying to get my biking gloves on (a brand new gift for good luck from Simon) but for the most part I was happy with my first transition. Started out great on the bike, really passing people and feeling energized. About mile 2, I started to worry, "oh my, I still have to run (walk) 3 miles" I better conserve some of my energy. So I think overall I gave the bike par 80% of my efforts. Still great, but I know I could have pushed it harded.

Transition 2 was harder as I had to get off bike at the EXACT spot where my horrible wipeout 3 weeks previous occured. So I took it rather slow. Then I had to change shoes and chage socks since my socks were socking wet. That is not something that is easy when your adrenaline is pumping.

Got out of the transition and started running. Ran for a short while then caught up with Simon's assistant Nancy and we speed walked the rest of the run. Due to injury from previous wipeout. I was really nervous about running. So decided a very fast paced power walk was just the ticket.

I was so happy and so thrilled with my time, effort and all out attitude about the whole thing! I am SO, SO, SO, SO going to do another one, and probably a longer one! I really think that this is something I am going to focus on doing.

For the time being. I am taking it really slow. I am not really excercising, biking or running. I want all things to heal and then I am going to focus on my weight training with my trainer Abby on Monday's then I am going to really work on my running and swimming. And who knows, maybe Santa will bring me a new road bike and come spring I can work on that too!

I am so excited to really have something I love doing!

2 comments:

lauren and brad said...

Incredible. Thank you so much for sharing this adventure with us. You inspire so many!

debi g said...

so inspiring! seeing you in trialthlon action, mommy action, and just being the molly i remember from cayuga was awesome! can't wait to hear about the training for the next one! just keep clear of those bike handles!