Walking up to the Grand
The conference was on Mackinac Island which is absolutely amazing. We had been there before for a board meeting 2 years ago and jumped at the chance to go again. Well, Simon has been there more again for work (so rough) and this was my second time. When the boss says the wife has to go, the wife has to go. Such a rough life I lead.
There are absolutely no cars on the Island. The only was to get around is by bike, horse or horse drawn carriage. The Grand is amazing and I always feel like I have stepped back in time. It is one of those hotels that after 6pm all men must be in coat and tie and all women must be in dresses. There is always a band playing for entertainment and the porch is so majestic to just sip a glass of wine listen to music and daydream. The food is amazing and I have literally been dreaming about their famous Pecan Ball since I was there 2 years ago. I highly reccomend this place for everyone to go to at least once.
While Simon did have to spend most of his days in conference's I got to spend the day with Simon's boss's wife. She is so lovey and I truly enjoy spending time with her. She has 3 daughters older than me and they all have kids around our girls ages so we talk alot about grandkids and kids and she loves to horseback ride as she has 5 hourse of her own. So one day we rented horses and rode around through the island.
The cocktail receptions at night were amazing, I swear one night I was going to have to pull Simon away from the Sushi bar when he tried to climb on top of it! Just kidding, but you don't want to come in between Simon and his Sushi. We were able to meet some pretty important us senators and have good conversations with some interesting people. Although, by the end of night 2, I turned to Simon and said "Do you think we can leave, go to a bar order beer and nacho's and watch a game on TV?" I guess sometimes you can dress me up but you just can't take me out. Maybe that was right after I was introduced to a high powered person from the governor's office and he says to me...."So, what do you do?" and I said, well, I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old and a husband that is gone alot for work so that is my full time job" and he says.... No lie...... "So basically nothing" and I said well....."Not nothing if you count watching TV and eating bon-bons as nothing" Again, you can dress me up but you can't take me out. Jerk!!!! Another post for another day.
Anyhoo, the last day was the day we had planned on renting bikes and taking pictures. We woke up got dressed went downstairs and it was raining like I have never seen it rain and it was 48*. Needless to say, we took some horse drawn carriages and decided to leave early. These are the pics from a couple of years ago. The place hasn't changed a bit.
All in all, great time, There is no one on earth I would rather be stuck in a car with for 8 hours and on a conference trip with than my one and only BFF and husband.
Horse drawn carriage
luggage cart to the ferries
6 comments:
is this place for real?? i thought you were on a movie set!
sounds awesome, except for that ass who told you that you do nothing. jerk!
It actually was a movie. Somehwere in time Christophner Reeves (Old School- not the movie just Old school in the fact thtat it was when he was really a young actor.) and Jane Seymour.
oh my gosh...gorgeous! it looks heavenly.
p.s. what a jerk!
obviously he has never had to take care of a child...let alone two toddler girls!!! yowza. i'm impressed you didn't spill your cocktail on his face.
simon is so lucky to have you. you are a wonderful wife and mommy and you deserved the get away!!!
what an amazing looking place! The white rockers on the porch are beautiful. And that guy is a jackass...I second the 'should have thrown your cocktail in his face" motion. Not subtle, but hey, neither was he.
Love how 'grown up' this getaway is before your weekend at the waterpark (Which sounds so fun!)
Post a Comment