Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Plants




I have never had a green thumb. I once had a house plant (named Axel) that hated living with me so much he decided to take his own life! Literally, we came home from a long weekend and he jumped off the top of the tv unit and we found the scene too dire to fix, soil everywhere and dried up roots. Poor guy.

Anyhoo, I really am going to try (again, something I say every year) So we have 1 hanging basket, and 3 pots of flowers. This year, we (I) decided I was going to teach the girls that vegetables come from plants and not just the grocery store. We planted tomatos ( I am the only one that likes tomato's - Simon once worked on a tomato farm and now hates all tomatos - just the flesh, he loves ketchup. Anyway, much like his bizarre thinking that his kids would talk with British accents because HE is british he thinks they inherited his dislike for tomato's.) Whatever.



Wow, glad I got that off my chest. I am going to beat this! We are going to like tomato's. There is nothing betting than tomato and basil fresh from a garden. Obviously not mine, Hello People?!? SO, back to the post.......


We planted 2 tomato plants, 1 cherry and 1 larger size. Also, we planted 4 broccoli plants. The girls favorite vegetable is broccoli so I thought they would like to watch it grow. We had to do them in pots since the deer are horrendous where we are. They would eat all our grass every night if we let them. As it stands we have a gate on our deck to keep them off, but I wouldn't put it past them to get up there.


Stay tuned, I am having to mark every few days the growth of the plant with sidewalk chalk to keep them interested.


Simon has had to water everything regularly since I have forgotten many times already. I love him. And I am glad he puts up with me.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

much better! no boys. no worms. plants! tomatoes! yay! what about watermelon? whooops...check out this article about deer+watermelon.

ok, then...what about lavender? english lavender? hearty, grows fast, and you can do craftyness with the buds later on. and they're english. they'll be like "yes, ma'am. i would greatly appreciate it if you would pluck me from my stem. would you like a scone?"

:) i amuse myself.

debi g said...

i am peeing my plans at the vision of your plant jumping off the TV, sorry. what about planting herbs? they are fairly easy.

lauren and brad said...

yummy...i could eat tomatoes for every single meal.

by the way...did you know ben's nickname was axel in utero? pretty cool.

also, leslie cracks me up.

trish said...

oh my gosh, your lawn is so green!! it's gorgeous. i wish i had a backyard.

totally love the axel connection.

laughing out loud at picturing leslie saying that with a british accent :)

Amanda said...

such a gorgeous lawn! I totally hear you about the deer, my parents get deer in their garden and they just looove to eat the little tender plants before they ever have a real chance to grow.

You can totally grow mint - it's like a weed, impossible to kill and tastes great in salads and even just in sparkling water w/ lime for the girls!! Rosemary is also super easy to grow, I think it likes it even better if you 'forget' to water it and it's super tasty on the bbq with, um, anything.

let us know how the broccoli turns out, never tried that! I thought it just came from the grocery store ;)