So, we haven't even bought anything for our Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, I am totally going to be that girl in the grocery store tomorrow morning the day before the big feast filling my cart to the top. I hope they still have potato's. Can you imagine?
No matter how long he lives in America he seems to never get the Thanksgiving Holiday. Many years ago when we were first together, we got into a heated debate....It went something like this....
Simon: "I was thinking we coud have Lasagna for our Thanksgiving meal this year"
Molly: "Uh, No, we will be having Turkey, Mash Potatoes, green beans, bread, etc"
Simon: "Can we have roast potatoes and broccoli? I don't want mashed"
Molly: "No we have to have mashed potatoes, it is a set menu"
Simon: "Who says we have to have Turkey?"
Molly: "THE PILGRIMS, THE PILGRIMS SAY!!!!"
Anyway, you can imagine my eye rolling situation this morning when he says casually while he is getting ready for work "Have you made your shopping list for this weekend yet? Can you get some Ham" Isn't this the holiday where we eat Ham"
We are all looking forward to Thanksgiving. Simon is taking a vacation day tomorrow and the girl's Gammy (Molly's Mom) is going to be arriving tonight. She is going to stay for 5 days! Yea! She will be able to assist in the massive shopping trip. And the girls have been counting down the days. Ruthie and Lulu could barely fall asleep last night they were so excited. Last year we hung all the christmas lights and by we I mean Simon. So, there should be some good pictures on our next post.
We have turned Thanksgiving into our tradition with Yorkshire pudding for Simon and roast potatoes too. I just don't think that I can turn it into a "Ham Holiday".
I am thankful for so many things and am looking forward to a relaxing holiday weekend with the ones I love.
8 comments:
i am in a meeting and laughing out loud about your thanksgiving conversation! and remember when we went out and did xmas decorating last minute? i think it was two nights before that we got you a tree? ha.
and i love the name "ben" too. if my hubby was not named ben i would name my son that. (jews don't name kids after living relatives.)
I totally forgot about that. So fun! I remember we just bought a bunch of bows because we didn't have money for ornaments. If I remember correctly you got quite into a Christian Holiday!
We have to get out to Jersey. I miss you...And the short hills mall.
Jersey misses you too! Every time I go out to Ben's farm we pass by either the brew pub or peach tree village.
We are getting a tree this year! :)
That's my good jewish friend. Does this mean I don't have to send you a different card than I usually send and it can say Merry Christmas?
So I guess its just an Italian thing, but we always have a lasagna at Thanksgiving :) and meatballs, and ravioli or gnocchi! Of course we always have turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, pumpkin pie, ect... too
I mean some people stuff their turkeys with ham and roasts!! seriously... its do-able!
hi simon and molly -- i was at cayuga in, i want to say, summer 2000? lauren, or brad, or leslie, or ali, or debi might be able to help me with what year i was there, but i think that's right. ANYWAY, i linked to you off debi's site. AND, so...my beau and i do an easter lasagna. three years in tradition; i am not so sure how that exactly happened. it kind of looks like an easter egg to me, plus HE cooks the whole thing, so i am v. down with it. but is that the ham-holiday? i guess lots do ham at christmastime, so maybe that's the ham holiday? i think am supposed to know these things, but i converted to turkey for christmas last year, so now i am food-confused. what kind of shopping trip starts at 5am!?!?!?
The kind where your husband wants a GPS system and now you have to go out with all the crazy people and freeze waiting in line for electronics.
Glad to hear from you it is kinda cool to start making your own family traditions that way it is more unique. I can completely understand how you could get food confused. I am just having a hard time giving up the turkey. Although, after 4 long days of turkey and turkey leftovers I may give a second thought to ham next year.
easter is totally the ham holiday...and no matter how convincing simon is with his little yorkshire pudding accent...don't cave molly! never ever give up the turkey! your girls will be so confused if you do! :)
i LOVE the thanksgiving conversation with the pilgrims comment! it made my day! you two are the funniest couple!
Post a Comment