Thursday, November 15, 2007

Crust




Something that has been baffling me for a while is crust on bread. I know why it is there. I know that it is by far the tastier part of the loaf. What baffles me is toddlers shear disgust with it.


When both of my girls were little they enjoyed toast for breakfast, or the occasional piece of bread with a little bit of jam. They would eat the crust every time. Now for the past few months everytime they eat toast, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich there are little pieces of the crust left on the plate. Ruhie could eat Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for every meal of her life, yet no matter which way I cut the sandwich the crust is trying to kill her. On whole wheat which is what we eat you can hardly tell where the inside bread meets the crust yet, I swear I saw her gag when her lips touched the outer crust.


I know that when I was little I did not eat crust. Now, I enjoy it. As a matter of fact I enjoy all things having to do with bread. Yet at what point did I cross over? What is the point of the period in time where most little kids hate crust. Is it just to drive me to find a higher meaning of things. Is this symbolism for something more meaningful than bread?
I think it means I need to find a hobby.
Funny story of the week.
I had to go shopping for a dress for a fundraiser and I had to take the girls. There I go heading to the mall with the girls in their double stroller, a bag full of bribery and a food court steps away with a carousel. I figure I may have 45 minutes total where I can get to a couple of stores try things on and find something take them for a ride on the carousel and have lunch and drive a half hour home to make it in time for naps.
We are in the first store, I am feeling pretty positive, the sales assistant is bringing me loads of stuff to try on, the girls are snacking on their bribery goodies and Ruthie starts wih her questions. "Why are you taking your clothes off? Why are you leaving the tags on? Mommy just take the tags off." As I can hear the other woman getting a chuckle out of our talking I politely explain that I have to take my clothes off to try on the clothes at the store and I can't take the tags off until I buy the clothes at the register. This seems to keep her occupied for a little bit of time. Until..........
Ruthie says in the most innocent voice...."Mommy, I don't like you naked"
All I could reply was..."Ruthie, sometimes I don't like me naked too"
Does this still qualify for behaving and taking a carousel ride?

2 comments:

lauren and brad said...

oh my goodness! that story has me laughing outloud all alone at my desk! kids are so freakin' hilarious!
i love your little blondies...thanks so much for making my whole day! :)

debi g said...

i was laughing out loud too!

i don't understand adults who don't eat the crusts of pizza!

and remember our "fancy" outings to the short hills mall?