Monday, September 20, 2010

Camp

I have had a hard time writing this post........

I guess I didn't want to come to grips with camp being over. We had the most amazing summer. The only way to really summarize it is to put it in lists.... While I say I had a great time, I really do need to write down some of the negatives (for inquiring minds) and for me to read when I think about doing it again.

Positives
* The girls grew in ways I never imagined. Lucy became a little bit less shy and dare I say outgoing.
* Ruthie in the dining hall with the tray was a force to be reckoned with.
* They were the youngest girls there by 2 years, yet you would never have known, they just jumped right in.
* The friendships we made will last forever, both the girls and mine.
* I got to work again at a job I absolutely have always loved
* I didn't have to cook for the entire summer
* The girls are amazing swimmers
* Lucy finally got on stage for an MTV night and DANCED!
* You should see the girls cupid shuffle, istanbul, cha cha slide Amazing!
* The birds chirping
* The whooping it up till all odd hours of the night when I should have been sleeping. Totally camp style. Who needs sleep, when the bar is still open!
* Ruthie passed her swim test
* getting to wear rain boots just for the heck of it.
* Got to wear tons of dress up clothes.
* Grilled cheese and camp food!
* seeing old friends!


CONS
* Being away from Simon. I know he really struggled with us being away for so long.
* I only had 2 Half days off the entire summer! Yes, that is right 2 half days! I didn't even take the girls with me. I just went to get a massage and my hair done!
* VERY long hours. Many nights I was up working extremely late, one night I never slept, and a couple nights it was 1am.
* I only managed 1 nap for an hour the entire summer.
* I worked just as hard if not harder than when I was full time.
* Camp has really changed, all for the better but it requires alot more work.
* Many nights I did not put my girls to bed. Yet, I was with other peoples kids.
* I really strived to not be a camp parent, that backfired when they didn't want to have anything to do with me, except for when I was extremely busy and didn't have the time, then they REALLY needed me.
* I never got to swim, except for a couple of times when I just jumped in with my clothes on.
* I never got to see my girls do ropes, tennis, swim lessons, or other activities.
* It never failed when I promised to go to an activity with them, I got pulled away or never could make it.


I have been working on a video of the girls, I cried the first few times I watched it realizing, I didn't take the majority of these pictures, Ashley our nanny did. I missed it all. I want them to remember the people, the camp facilities and the fun. They were very happy there.

Tex our fabulous photographer has taken some amazing shots of the girls, when I went to buy them off the company that he has to upload them to... They were over $400. Soo, I am still working on getting some more photos, but while I am working on them here is what we were up to......



2 comments:

debi g said...

i am now teary after watching that video! how amazing that your girls got the chance to take part in something that has such meaning to you and simon. the update was totally worth the wait :).

lauren and brad said...

This is gonna make me cry! You are right, they totally fit right in...and had the time of their life doing it!