I remember moving to Battle Creek, with a 6 week old baby and a year and 6 week old baby and not knowing what hit me. Not knowing where the grocery store was, or where to go get a good beer. Why didn't anyone tell me about Arcadia, Bells, and Dark Horse. I feel like we were just getting aquanted and then I had to leave.
I remember telling friends in Columbus... I am so far out in the middle of nowhere, that the nearest Panera is 25 minutes away and the nearest starbucks is 35 minutes away!
The first year was hard. The babies, Simons travel, not knowing anyone. But then things started to get easier. A drive-thru Starbucks came to town. I literally wept the day I drove by and saw the coming soon sign. I called Simon at work and was crying over the phone. Then a Panera came a few years later. Obviously, I have a passion for all things having to do with coffee and sweets. And while I really am not addicted to panera (I am not admitting to not being addicted to starbucks) It for me painted a picture on how far in the middle of nowhere I thought I was. My choices of grocery stores were Meijer or Walmart. I dragged my friend to Whole Foods one time over an hour and a half away I don't even think I bought anything but I just wanted to be in that grocery store because it made me smile!
What made Battle Creek easier, I know wasn't the convenience of the driv-thru starbucks (well a little credit here) was the life we made there. We lived in a lovely new neighborhood where I woiuld load those adorable babies up and take them in the jogger and do the neighborhood loop of 1.7 miles in and out of every culdesac and never being out of my comfort zone and never to far away from being able to change a dirty diaper. With every walk it got easier and easier.
Once I got my comfort level. I ventured out to the Y. Where I started getting in a workout routine, where I would start to see familiar faces. I joined the Junior League. Much to the stong suggestion/mandate by Simon's new position. I met some crazy wonderful ladies and I started to put down roots. Some of my closest friends I met through the Junior League. Then we started having playdates that lasted for an hour or so, they eventually turned into daylong pajama marathons and things started to become more comfortable and more like home. Through our country club we made even more friends and were even more involved. I sat on the social committee and thoroughly enjoyed my ladies lunches and organzing social events. Even if I wasn't the typical country club wife. (by typical I mean my standard uniform, jeans, black uggs and my black tops) Come on now, I am never going to put on heels, a dress, and bust out the fur for anybody. Even the ladies of the social committee. But they liked me for me and I didn't have to pretend I was somebody I wasn't.
I have really struggled lately with moving again! My girls miss their time in Battle Creek. It was the only home they ever knew. That is where all their happy childhoood memories are. We have spent months trying to stay upbeat and happy that we moved to be closer to family and friends, and in a city where you have a choice of 5 paneras in a 5 mile radius. Starbucks is Everywhere (by the way, my new addiction is my keurig, but that is another post for another day) Heinens (grocery store) is a block away.
But the other day, I found myslef driving down the street crying really missing my Battle Creek Peeps. I came home and was explainging to Simon. I had so much going on in Battle Creek. I had amazing friends that I loved having deck wine Tuesdays, and Thirsty Thursday, and tons of laughs with. Between the Juinior League and the JL Board, My training group at the Y, Our Triathlon Training Team, the Country Club and the committees and amazing friends and neighbors. I don't have that here YET. I know I will and believe me, I have alot going on but I miss playdates that start at 10am, turn into lunch and then turn into happyhour. the pick up line and park at school that turned into social hour that turned into dinner playdates. My walking buddies, my hangout on a dock on a Sunday and drink beer buddies. The 6 foot island in my kitchen, man if that wasn't the best cooking surface, I don't know what was. ( I think that is really the only thing I miss about that house) Oh maybe the jacuzzi tub too. I have to stop that list.
I have to remind myself that all took time, and I know I will be back to being busy and like that again, I am just trying to take baby steps and figure out what I want to do. But seriously ladies from the BC ploease come and visit and bring me some Bells, Arcadia, and Dark Horse memorabilia. I miss them too!
2 comments:
Totally crying right now! Miss your crazy self, excellent parenting and fantastic perspective on life (to name a few). Battle Creek just is not the same without Team Bisson. Wishing you the best and looking forward to coming for a visit.
you describing yourself in jeans, black uggs and black shirts makes me smile. that is the molly that i know and love! so glad that i got to visit you in MI and get a peak into your life there (what was that alcohol drink that your friends made?! so glad i was preggo and couldn't drink it, lol).
Post a Comment