Saturday, March 19, 2011

Chocolate Cake

The famous saying goes when life hands you lemons.... 

And everyone has something that they say when life hands you lemons. 

I say when life hands you chocolate, you make chocolate cake.  We were going to a friends house for dinner tonight.  I was told to bring dessert, Simon's request was chocolate cake.  So, I made chocolate cake FROM SCRATCH!  We are talking flour, cocoa powder, sifting, melting chocolate for the icing, heating egg yolks to peak the eggs, craziness.  It took almost 2 and a half hours for me start to finish.  A task I have done before.  But in all the craziness of this weekend, and everything else, I just needed to do this for myself.  Yes, I know I could have bought a $2 cake mix instead of at least $30 dollars on ingredients, And it could have been just as good, if not better.  But my neighbors indulged me.  The girls kissed me and told me they loved the cake (even though I heard them tell the hostess they didn't want to finish it becuase they didn't really like it)  There is something about just making a cake with love and thought that is so enjoyable for me.  It is like my therapy.  I felt like I rocked it.

Needless to say, we left it at our neighbors,  I gave up sweets for lent, and my kids didn't like it.  Whatever.  I now have totally justified take out while Simon is out of town.

2 comments:

debi g said...

yum. i should give up something for lent. when is lent?

that looks delicious. recipe please.

Ian and Sarah Niecko said...

Molly, you always seem to crack me up! I just LOVE following your blog. Yeah on the cake, there is something almost religious between women, cake, and chocholate. Also, impressed with you dedication to the Y..you go girl! Hi to the girls.