Monday, December 13, 2010

Kitchen Towels

I have had people question my use in paper towels.  Yes, I use them, I use them more frequently than others.  If I dry my hands, I get a paper towel, and I may save it on the counter until the next time I use it. I do like to use sponges for cleaning up spills and regularly sanitize them. 

I would like to point out, I am SO not a clean freak.  Simon does about 80% of the cleaning in the house.  I can't quite figure out if it is because I am lazy or he is a clean freak.  He accused me the other day that our shower was turning into a camp shower.  Ummm, you SO know what he is talking about!  Literally the man just steam cleaned the dining room for the sake of it!

I stand firm and true though on my use of paper towels.  I have a drawer of black kitchen towels that I wash and use regularly as long as I pull it out of the draw and smell it first... you see, here is my dilemma.

A kitchen towel in this house is used for MANY things...  We have a towel rack on our oven and many a time one (and I use that term to identify anyone in the house other than ME) will grab that towel to clean up spills.  Whether they are on the floor, the counter, wherever.  Then if someone (ME) is not looking that towel gets placed back on the rack.  I have seen the towel be used for the floor, wiping a dog's foot, wiping a nose, and then put back on the rack.  I swear, I constantly am hiding towels so that they can be washed and not re-used dirty... But today takes the cake.

We have a ton of snow, and the girls were loading up the car to go to our friends house.  The garage door is up, and the car is running.  You know how dirty and wet a garage floor can get, well Lucy is getting loud and agitated in the garage and I go out to look....  There she is with a black kitchen towel  wiping up the puddles on the floor of the garage.  Yep, the garage door keeps dripping since it is up and she keeps getting annoyed that there are more puddles to clean.  With that, she storms in the house, puts the towel back on the rack and gets into the car.  On one hand you want to be proud (lord knows Simon is..)  since she is cleaning up puddles in the garage.  But of course, I can't help but shake my head, because there is the good old use full kitchen towel. 

And that is why I use paper towels.  Lord knows where that towel has been.


***  Earth conscious friends.  This is for humor purposes only.  I don't mean to offend anyone by not saving the world, one skanky towel at a time****

3 comments:

debi g said...

ew. we have so many towels in our kitchen i never know what has been used for what. i try to be as environmental as possible, but sometimes using paper towels are just more sanitary.

lauren and brad said...

I bet Simon is proud! :)

I have tried and tried to teach my family the difference between the kitchen towels and then "other" towels. It's of little use!

Leslie said...

SAME HERE! I don't get how we can get to the point of a stinky (aka mildewy aka DISGUSTING) towel that gets hung back up instead of directly into the towel bin. That's right, we have a designated towel BIN. Wet ones hang dry on the edge, thrown into the big, and when it hits a certain level, I wash them. But WHAT'S THE POINT if dirty ones hang on the oven?!

That's NOT the place for them!!