Saturday, January 5, 2008

Black Nail Polish

Ruthie woke up from a nap hysterical and it went something like this....

"My nail polish is chipped" (Ruthie)

"Well, we will just paint your nails again" (Molly)

"But my nail polish is at Gammy's" (Ruthie)


This conversation occurred all through Ruthie's sobs. Needless to say, we went to the mall to buy her new nail polish. I don't know where this obsession has come from since I don't have nails at all let alone polished ones.

While in the store I pick out the usual OPI nail polish and Ruthie asks if she can pick out a new color. She comes back with a dark purple that just isn't that pretty on a 2 year old's nails. So I try to tell her no and she says fine and she goes to put it back, with that she brings back a BLACK nail polish. The woman behind the counter is totally laughing at me at this point. I bribe her with a lipstick (chapstick) and tell her that only REALLY old people like Great Grammy Ruthie can wear black nail polish. (It has to be something totally unattainable)

I seem to bypass the meltdown with the bribery lipstick and she is so proud to walk out of the store with her bag and immediately applies her new lipstick. We get in the car and we pull away from the mall and all I hear from the back seat as she is rifling through the bag is.....

"Where did my black nail polish go?"

3 comments:

debi g said...

that is hysterical! i like that only old people can wear black nailpolish!

lauren and brad said...

you have excellent negotiating skills! i will be taking notes! :)

devon lorraine ... said...

cutest story.