Yesterday we had the pleasure of having our sump pump break and having back up of water in our basement. Just an inch or 2 in some places. Luckily, our neighbor is Mr. Johnny on the spot and helped us out of the situtation by taking out the broken one, going to the store and buying a new one and putting it in. By the time he had the new one working the ""Disaster team" was here assessing the situtation and putting together an action plan.
We had about 400 square feet of finished area that was ruined. Carpet pulled out baseboards removed, toys wet. A whole wall of bookshelves that happily soaked up the water and are drying. Then the unfinished part whish is about 1000 ssquare feet was under water but this is the time when you are glad that your husband had a clean out over New Years and did some organizing and not alot was sitting on the floor.
It was kinda a bummer when I had to go through boxes of stuff from the girls when they were babies and salvage stuff. Of course, I ran to Target and bought tons of rubbermaid stuff which we already had most of everything in. I know I guess I wasn't paying attention when I put the most important things (Great Aunt's handpainted bone China, Girls baby stuff, Simon and my memory box) in brown boxes. But I guess we just move on from there.
So, as I type this we have about 8 Indsutrial turbo fans in our basement running trying to dry everything out. Kinda sounds like you are behind a jet on a runway. 2 huge dehumidifiers soaking water up and tons of stuff relocated throughout our house. Which of course is freaking Simon out because he finds calm in everything in it's place.
Oh, and did I forget to mention that we woke up this morning with the furnace broken? Maybe it had something to do with the water? Nobody even our "disaster" contact guy noticed. Well, yesterday was not a normal day as in the fact that doors were open, windows were open, everyone was just damp and it was raining so it easily could have been overlooked. (The disaster team is quite funny. Full with Knee High boots, tubes snaking all through our house. If they only had the masks on I would think I was conveniently located in the middle of the ET movie. So a quick call to some people and hopefully we will have the furnace up and running since it is getting to be pretty cold in our house even with the gas fireplace running. Seriously, our house is only 5 years old. This should not be happening.
And last but certainly not least... Our computer officially died. We haven't had the time to bury it in the backyard as hopefully our neighbor again, Mr. Johnny on the spot can retrieve the thousands of pictures off of it before we officially say our goodbyes. This actually has been a slow and painful death for all of us as it started back in Novmeber and we have been rigging it to get just a little bit more life out of it. So, therefore no pics at the moment of all the fun that is happening at our house. Hopefully I have painted a pretty enough picture.
So, updates to come but for now we are just rolling with the punches with laughter, dance parties and hot fudge sundaes during family night out last night.
7 comments:
oh. my. god. good luck getting through all of that!!! i really hope that the computer was your third thing and it'll be clear sailing from here on out.
OH NO!!! that is awful. but glad to hear that team bisson is taking it with stride.
oh my gosh! much like my luck... bad things happen in 3's. i hope you guys get the basement and everything fixed!
wow, what a rough week. buy hey, if you can get the worst over with now then the rest of 2008 can be flawless!
isn't it amazing how a hot fudge can fix pretty much everything?
so so sorry. that sucks. :(
i loooooove dance parties!
sorry about the misfortune. upside, it sounds like you have a caring neighbor which is rare and so important nowadays. and a family that can take it in stride as dg said.
ps i secretly love the term "sump pump." but not when they break and spew water everywhere.
Post a Comment