Friday, May 18, 2012

Opposites

These two ladies could not be any more different.  This picture was taken on a typical day after school.  Lucy decked out and Ruthie in her skater gear. 



As a mother there are plenty of battles you fight everyday.  One of the battles that I have chosen to never fight is clothing.  Now of course, the rule is you must wear it!  But I don't care what it is.  I take each child out to the store.  Tell them what their budget is, and what they need to accomplish, how many shorts, tshirts, jeans, etc.  they need to pick out and I let them get and try on and buy whatever they are going to wear.  I am sick of buying stuff that ends up in their closet, they don't like it and won't wear it.  In the morning, I tell them to go upstairs and get dressed and maybe they want shorts, or pants, and that is the ONLY direction I give them.  I have done this since they could dress themselves, at the age of 2 or 3.  (My friend Kris can attest to this.  I thought there was something wrong with Lucy when she was 3 and she wasn't getting herself completely dressed, and I had a serious conversation with her confiding in her that I thought something was wrong wit Lucy as Ruthie had been getting herself dressed with shoes on since she was about 2.5.  Kris just looked at me, very kindly and said....  Um, you do realize that Ruthie doing that at that age was not normal my son who is 5 still doesn't do that!). 



Ruthie has always had her own style of comfort, alternative gear.  Her reasoning is very serious. (Which I whole heartily agree). She says I don't want my clothes to be to short and tight!  Amen sister!  Last time I went to the store she bought EVERYTHING from the boys side.  Not one item of clothing came from the girls section.  Now, put away that finger, and stop with your judging.  Within reason, she doesn't look bad and I really like her style.  And if she wants to shop from the boys section then so be it.  Sometimes sales people can be obnoxious about it.  But I am giving her freedom of expression.



Lucy, still rocks the tutu's and leggings every day.  Prefers dresses to anything else and is always concerned about fashion.  She always matches, and most of the time her outfits make me smile and laugh, just at the cuteness of it all and that she is so polar opposite of her sister!

I can't help but think how many of us have horror stories about what our parents made us wear. I know that won't be Ruthie's situation, but I am sure she will have some horror story about me, it is after all the circle of life.

I  love them both just the way they are. 

4 comments:

Leslie said...

there are very many things i like about your family. allowing the girls room for self-expression is tops of that list. xo to you all!

debi g said...

you are such a rock star mom!!! letting them self express at such a young age is so awesome.

S Barnecut said...

She has the same Chucks as me (exactly- blue, no laces) and they are my favorites, so Rock On Ruthie! I love it!

-Barnecut

Simon and Molly said...

Her sense of style is pretty awesome if I do say so myself. As girlie as Lucy gets and you think it can't any cuter, you see Ruthie rockin and it just doesn't stop!