Wednesday, January 19, 2011

LUCY - Bringing LULU Back


Lucy has really had quite the year at school.  She LOVES going every day and has made some wonderful friends.  This is something most parents may take for granted, but she had an awful year last year.  She did not like her teachers and I would have to drag her to school kicking and screaming.  While I know not all teachers have to like all children, you really don't expect that to occur in Pre-school and literally this teacher just did not have the time of day for Lucy.  She was actually part of the reason she changed her name.  After some girls told her that her name was Stupid.  ****  Yes, mean girls do exist even when you're 3 and you are friends with 4 and 5 years olds.  They essentially told her that her name was "Stupid".  Then when she mentioned it at school to said teacher.... That teacher said that it was "funny" that she only had 2 letters in her name.  Hence why all of a sudden a girl that was LULU for a solid 3 1/2 years since birth changes her name to LUCY.  The name change was a shock to me at first, and then when she would get literally SO upset, be forced to tears if you called her LULU, being her biggest advocate, I worked SO hard to help her change her name.  I don't think I ever really slip up and most people take the lead by what I call her.  So Lucy it was.

Well Anyway, she has had an amazing year.  She really was shy for the most part at camp and on days that our nanny Ashley was not there.  (Nice for some people to get a day off)  She wouldn't leave my side.  Wouldn't go with anyone or trust anyone.  Now, all she talks about is camp, she can't wait to go back (we will see about that).  Wants to go to her friends house for playdates and NEVER stops talking.  While she has almost always had her own sense of fashion it was almost like it was her way to express herself without having to talk. 

I took her to the Dentist the other day and for the past year and a half, Simon would have to leave work, meet us at the Dentist and sit in the chair with Lucy on his lap just so we could get her teeth cleaned.  Crazy!  So, we walk into the dentist, she jumps in the chair opens her mouth and giggles the whole time and talks to the hygienist and the dentist like this is her favorite place.  The hygienist kept looking at me like I must have brought the wrong child in to the appt. 

And the biggest change.....  She says she likes being called Lulu.  She really has always been more of a Lulu than she ever was a Lucy. 

I seriously can't keep up with her.  Yet, I am so proud of all the positive changes!

3 comments:

debi g said...

it hurts my soul when i hear a teacher is mean or non-supportive of a student.

Hurrah for Lulu's new teachers. And i think it is super cool that she only has 2 letters in her name!

Leslie said...

i'm SO intrigued by lulu. she's so amazing!

Erin said...

what I want to know is the teacher still working there? this is preschool..you're supposed to be all about rainbows and sunshine. bring it Lulu :)