Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ice Skating









We took the girls ice skating at our friend Julie and Bob's for a visual, the people the basement girls, or anyone at my race....it was at the house we went to after the race. They shovel off a large piece of lake and the sun and wind make it nice and flat so that you can skate on it.


This is something that when I was growing up...we were NEVER allowed to skate on ice. I mean NEVER. So immediately, I had a feeling of panic when we were invited. But I know that many of the lakes up here people ice fish on, so if we are a few feet off the land and you can see how deep the ice is, and it is something that all these people do, I figured I would take it all in and see how I felt about it.


First, when we tried on our skates, Lulu fit into Ruthie's and Ruthie didn't have any skates. Which already was not a good start to the day. She loves Julie and Bob's boys and was so sad at the idea that she wouldn't be able to play with the big kids. So there we were at the local sporting goods store trying on skates before we went to their house.

Ruthie tried on figure skates, and then she saw the black CCM hockey skates and she was SOLD! I was truly so proud! When I was growing up it was SO the cool thing to do to go skating every Friday night and Sunday afternoon with all your friends 5th grade through 8th grade and you were only cool if you had your own skates, and then you were the coolest of the cool if you had boy hockey skates! So, literally it was a totally proud moment that she chose the hockey skates. While I have absolutely no reservation that next year when Lulu needs new skates....she will pick the white figure skates with pink flowers and I will be proud too that she has her own style going!


The only downfall of hockey skates which I was reminded after we were skating is that they are rounded at the front and the back with no toe pick so it is actually alot harder to learn to skate in them.



The boys gave them plastic chairs to push to help them get their balance and a feel for the ice and then they ventured out without the chairs. Or the chairs were used to take a break when people got frustrated that they weren't at the olympic level on their first try.














The girls both were amazing! Really going for it. Lulu did so great and I was so proud of both of them. I really think that we are turning into an outdoor adventure kind of a family!
Some video clips I took on my camera.


5 comments:

lauren and brad said...

Something I've always wanted to do! Sometimes we would venture out on the ponds and just scoot around, but we NEVER had skates!!!! Doubt they even sell them around here, but I bet they start after the winter we've been having!

debi g said...

Ben used to skate on a frozen lake by his house and I know that he is looking forward to taking our little guy out (in a few winters... lol). The chair is such a good idea! That will be me on the ice while the boys skate around me.

:) Basement Girl #3

debi g said...

the video is awesome! i always forget how young your girls are... they seem so grown up.

mc said...

Totally bringing back memories about the coolness of having the hockey skates. Meg would totally be all over and Mol well, she would be all over the pink w/flowers...you guys are having a winter full of fun activities. We are so not a winter family, the snow looks nice when I am on the inside. Meg has decided she wants to learn to snowboard and like the winter - can i send her over to you?!?!

devon lorraine ... said...

thought #1: oh my god, they are on real ice, over real water. scary, scary, scary. oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. i saw a movie where a girl falls through ice and it freezes back over her. oh my god. is this safe? oh my god.

thought #2: hey, that place looks really familiar.

thought #3: well noone looks scared and there are lots of ice skating tracks, and i remember how shallow the water was near the dock, and so it's probably at least safe near the perimeter. but i don't know, i mean, what if it cracks? hmm, i don't know. maybe lots of people skating weakens the ice system. oh my god.

(can you sense i am of this? the first time i saw a real lake/huge pond frozen over for ice skating was last year where patrick grew up. i could not believe people actually do this.)

thought #3: plastic chairs! good idea!!! (chairs distracted me from my fear of that frozen lake)

- basement girl #2 :)