So today, we set off for the mall. First stop Gap. She wanted to carry all her own clothes as she goes to the dressing room to have a fashion show. She picks out tons of new tops, and fleece outfits, socks, tights for her sister, even wanted me to get a few things. We had a blast.
Next stop, she wants to go to the Merry Go Round. Where she insists on paying all by herself and climbs up to the top of the 2 story Merry Go Round and picks out her animal while I watch from the gated area for spectators. She even asked a dad near her to help her strap her safety harness. She rides and enjoys herself, and I have to yell to her to make her wave to me. As the ride comes to a stop I go to the exit where I am greeted by a huge smile and a running Ruthie with a jumping Hi-5 that is so loud people start to stare. "That was totally awesome Mom!" she screams Honestly I think she was thinking the Hi-5 was Awesome because it was so loud!
Now we are off to Red Robin for lunch. Her choice. We sit down and she immediately goes to the back of the menu pics out what she wants to eat. When the waiter comes by she politely asks for water and a basket of onion straws. When he brings our water back she looks him in they eye and asks for Chicken and French fries, please. After he leaves she says.... "Mom, I ordered all by myself! And look, I am even sitting like an adult". She had her legs crossed! We sit and discuss school, friends, people in her class that are not nice for no reason, (she doesn't like that) and how she just wants to be nice to everyone. She likes to learn and to count and to even try to connect with the kids in the class that other people don't like. (yes, imagine, she is in Kindergarten and 5 and people already don't like people - although that is not my daughter!) When done she even passes on a hot fudge sundae!
Next stop Target.... We pick out slippers for her and pink ones for Lucy, and the new TaylorSwift CD. She also askes for a Hot Pretzel. We were in there for a while!
When we get out of target we put the CD in and start our 25 minute journey home. We listen to the songs and talk about if we like them or not. About song number seven she begins to fall asleep. There I am driving down the highway listening when song number eight comes on. At which point I listen to the words and I am sobbing! Sobbing so hard I am fogging up my glasses. Crying so hard, I am wondering if I need to pull over. As I look back in the rearview mirror and see my beautiful, wonderful happy little 5 year old Ruthie, holding her balloon she got at lunch fast asleep, all I can see is this movie of pictures in my head to go along with the song that is playing.......
Perhaps, we are all suffering from this adjustment period of starting school and growing up. While I have always played the tough Mom, and have always tried to make them independent and strong young ladies. I am realizing that maybe I am doing too good of a job at times and now they no longer need me like they used to. I guess my work here is done.....
5 comments:
oh honey, while this may have been a good day, I'm sure both of your girls will give you plenty of others to show you that your work as a mom is never done.
great work creating a special day for ruthie!
Ohhhhh...time flies too quickly! You must have been listening to Never Grow Up. (yes...we're obsessed with TS too) Don't worry, Ruthie will always need you even when she thinks she doesn't.
P.S. GORGEOUS family picture!!! SupaModels!
Hugs,
Leigh
you are totally NOT done being a mom!
i LOVE your new blog photo.
so what was this song number 8 about??? what a sweet day.
and i love the new family photo.
Don't see it as a job being over....look at it as a pause to stop and admire you're AWESOME work...they'll need you always..through first loves, first heartbreaks, first apartments and first babies of their own...
*DISCLAIMER: i'm feeling incredibly "soppy" today...i started tearing up at your post...so take my "cheesiness" with a grain of salt! ;)
Post a Comment